My parents are divorced. Whose information will you need, and does this impact my aid?

We need information from both biological/adoptive parents, even if they are divorced.  Eligibility for aid is based on the expectation that both parents should contribute financially to their child’s educational expenses; therefore, both the custodial (sometimes referred to as "Household A") and non-custodial parent (Household "B") must submit financial aid application information to Duke.  The custodial parent (Household A) should complete the FAFSA and the CSS Profile. Household B (or the non-custodial parent) should complete only a CSS Profile. 

A separate contribution is calculated for each parent and added together to determine a total family contribution.  If either parent has remarried, any spousal income information will be excluded from the analysis. 

In rare circumstances, Duke may waive the requirement for non-custodial/Household B information.  If you have extreme family circumstances that prohibit one or more of your parents from completing the aid application, please contact us