Common Questions

To view your child’s bill or financial aid, your child has to give you permission to see the information in Duke’s online system (DukeHub). Each parent should be given separate access. On your child’s DukeHub homepage, under Personal Information at the bottom of the Student Center, there is a link to Relationships/Guest .  Your child can activate this link to grant you access to his or her student account.  Once you are granted access, you will get an email with instructions on how to get started. Please see these instructions on how your child can enable guest access.

If you have your own health insurance, you must request a waiver of Duke’s insurance by providing proof that your child is already covered.  This waiver process will be available through the student's DukeHub portal. Once the waiver is granted, any charge for Duke’s insurance on the student account will be removed. You can also contact the health insurance manager with any questions about waiving Duke’s health insurance. Click here for instructions on how to complete the health insurance process.

Please note: international students do not have the option to waive Duke’s insurance. All international students are automatically signed up for Duke’s health insurance.  

Duke does not match financial aid awards from other universities.  If another university has offered a need-based award that is significantly different from Duke’s award, it may be that the other university has received new or updated information about your family's financial situation. If there have been changes to your family’s finances since you applied, you may request a reevaluation of your award. Requesting a revision requires that you submit in writing a specific and detailed explanation of the situation. For more information about appeals, visit our Special Circumstances section.

  • The undergraduate Financial Aid office reviews your financial aid application and creates aid awards with grant, loans, and other types of aid. If you have questions about the aid you are receiving, reach out to Financial Aid at, or contact your financial aid counselor.
  • Student Loans helps you understand your student loans and can help you manage your money. If you have specific questions about loan types, loan repayment, or the best loans for you, reach out to the Loans office.
  • The Bursar creates your Duke bill and is responsible for adding individual charges. If you have questions about specific charges on your bill, contact the Bursar.
  • Cashiering is the office that accepts payments made to Duke. If you need to make a payment (or submit an external scholarship check), you will send this to the Cashiering office. 


If you have questions, we're happy to help you understand who can best answer them. Please email us at or call us at 919-684-6225.

Students can check the status of their application for financial aid by logging into their account in the applicant portal. If you are offered admission to Duke and enroll as a student, you can track the progress of your financial aid application via your DukeHub “To-Do” List.  All financial aid application tasks are listed there, and their status is updated daily. 

When tracking the progress of your FAFSA, CSS PROFILE, and any additional materials you may have been asked to submit, please allow 10 business days for your To-Do List to be updated.  These components of the application are sent to Duke from other agencies, and they may take several days to reach us depending on the season.  

When you have completed your FAFSA application, you should receive confirmation when you view your Student Aid Report. 

Some applicants may be asked to submit tax information to the College Board IDOC service. If this is the case, you can confirm that IDOC received your paperwork by logging into your IDOC account on the College Board site, or you can call their office to confirm.  

Duke assumes both parents will help pay for college, so we require both parents to submit financial information separately.  We calculate a separate contribution for each parent and add them together to determine the Expected Family Contribution.  If one or both parents are remarried, we remove consideration of income earned by the stepparent. 

Many factors are considered when calculating your aid, including your income, assets, and number of siblings in college at once. Because of this, we recommend students and families use our interactive aid calculator to estimate how much aid you might receive.  

Note: Business owners, those who have foreign income, those with total income below $60,000 with significant assets, and those in certain other situations may not receive accurate results using the calculator. In these instances, we encourage all students who'd like to be considered for aid to apply. Those meeting the application deadlines will receive their aid notifications with their Admissions packets.  

If a student takes at least three credits during a term, financial aid will not be impacted. 

If a student takes fewer than three credits, aid will be reduced by the same amount as the reduction in the tuition charges and book costs (the part-time book allowance is half of the full-time book allowance).  Your family contribution will remain the same, as will the budget for housing, meals, and miscellaneous expenses.  This means that for some need-based aid recipients, there is no financial advantage to taking less than a full-time course load since your family contribution does not change.

Please note: If a student takes fewer than two credits, he or she may no longer be eligible to receive federal loans and certain types of grant assistance.  To find out how financial aid may be impacted if you will be enrolled in fewer than two credits, contact us.

Most families use a combination of options to help cover the family contribution.  Duke offers a monthly payment plan through Nelnet and participates in federal and private loan programs.  To learn what options may be best for you, check out how to pay your bill or the loan options page.

While we can't offer need-based aid until all required documentation has been received (including tax returns if we've requested them), we continue to process applications on a rolling basis throughout the year.  Documents received after the deadline will be accepted and processed.  If Admission packets have already been mailed, we will email the aid award as soon as all materials have been received and an award can be processed.


Beginning with the class entering in the fall of 2017, Duke will meet 100% of the demonstrated financial need for undocumented students (both DACA and undocumented) admitted to the University as Early Decision, Regular Decision, or Transfer Students. Financial aid packages will include institutional need-based scholarship funds.  DACA students will also be eligible for Duke work study funding for on campus employment.

If you are an undocumented or DACA student, click here to find out how to apply for financial aid.

If a student’s DACA or undocumented status changes while enrolled at Duke, components of the student’s award may also change.  

  1. Undocumented and DACA students should first complete the College Board’s CSS Profile form. For applicants, the fee is waived for those who already have an SAT fee waiver or who qualify based on income. If you are prompted to pay the fee and cannot do so, please contact our office.
  2. Once the Profile is complete, you may receive an email that asks you to submit US tax returns and W2 forms to the secure College Board documentation service called IDOC. If you or your parents did not file a US tax return, you can submit the non-filer form available on the IDOC website if additional documentation has been requested. Note: Not all applicants will be required to take this step.
  3. If you have a noncustodial parent, he/she should also complete the CSS Profile. If additional documents are requested of your noncustodial parent, those may be submitted to the College Board IDOC service as well. 

If you are the parent of an applicant for Early or Regular Decision, please see our Important Deadlines page. If you are the parent of a returning student, all financial aid materials should be submitted by January 2nd for the following fall term.

Applicants for admission who have submitted all the required documentation by the deadlines should receive a financial aid letter in their Admission packet.  Returning students who have submitted all required materials should receive an aid award in mid-summer of that year. 

Some applicants may be asked to submit tax information, including business taxes. In order to consider the financial strength of all applicants equally, it is important that we evaluate all income and assets belonging to a family, including businesses.  If you are asked to submit tax documentation and you are a business owner (whether a sole proprietor or major shareholder of a corporation), we'll need your business tax return and all accompanying schedules, statements, and K-1s (if applicable).  Until all business information is received, a student's aid application will be considered incomplete if tax documentation has been requested.

We require all families to apply for financial aid each year.  If your financial circumstances change significantly (for better or worse), your aid will also change.  If you circumstances are fairly similar to the prior year, the aid should not change significantly.  

Depending on your circumstance, we may be able to consider some changes when evaluating your application.  In situations where a family member has suffered a job loss or reduction in income, we can evaluate your financial aid once the calendar year has ended and your total annual earnings can be assessed. (For more information, please see how we consider job loss and income reductions.)

Other circumstances may be considered at the time of application.  To learn what we can and can't consider, see our section on special circumstances.