Work Study

 

If you have applied for financial aid and have been offered work-study, you have an opportunity to gain great work experience and network with professionals inside and outside the Duke community.

Undergraduate Students

 

All students who apply for financial aid will be offered work study, regardless of financial need. To learn more about the work-study program and how it may benefit you, see the links below.


Graduate Students

As a graduate student, you'll need to contact your program's financial aid office to determine if you are eligible for work study.  If you've already been offered work study, the links below provide helpful information about the program.

Duke Employers

Duke University departments hire work study students directly. Each pay period, student hours are submitted to payroll.

  • For Federal Work Study student participants, payroll will deduct 75% of the allocated earnings to be paid to the student from a Work Study WBS Element (which the student will provide); the remaining 25% of the allocated earnings is deducted from the department's cost center. All (100%) of the student's earnings in excess of the allocation will be deducted from the department's cost center.
  • For Duke Work Study student participants, payroll will deduct 50% of the allocated earnings to be paid to the student from a Duke Work Study cost center (which the student will provide); the remaining 50% of the allocated earnings is deducted from the department's cost center. All (100%) of the student's earnings in excess of the allocation will be deducted from the department's cost center.

Non-Profit Employers

Non-profit agencies participate in work study programs administered by Duke University through collaboration with the Duke Community Service Center. Non-profits must qualify to participate in the program (see contract). Students can search for opportunities at off-campus locations at https://community.duke.edu/duke-student-engagement/community-based-federal-work-study-positions/.

A participating non-profit hires Duke students directly and pays the students through the non-profit's normal pay routine, with the understanding that work study earnings are tax exempt.  The student will receive paychecks through the non-profit, not through Duke.

Both Federal Work Study and Duke Work Study student participants are eligible to work for a participating non-profit until the maximum work study allocation amount has been earned.

  • For Federal Work Study student participants, the non-profit will be reimbursed for 90% of the student's earnings.  The remaining 10% of the student's total earnings is the responsibility of the non-profit agency.  Reimbursement requests for total earnings in excess of the student's work study allocation will not be processed.
  • For Duke Work Study student participants, the non-profit will be reimbursed for 50% of the student's earnings.  The remaining 50% of the student's total earnings is the responsibility of the non-profit agency.  Reimbursement requests for total earnings in excess of the student's work study allocation will not be processed.

Summer Non-Enrolled Work-Study

 

What is summer non-enrolled work study? Am I eligible?

You may be able to use work-study funding to work during the summer even if you’re not enrolled in summer classes! Your earning limits for the summer will be higher than they would be during the school year because you'll be working full-time.

There are only 3 requirements you have to keep in mind:

  • You have to be eligible for federal work-study (so your aid application has to be complete for 2021—check DukeHub!)
  • You have to be enrolled at Duke for the Fall 2020 semester (you can't be graduating in Spring/Summer 2020, or studying abroad for Fall 2020)
  • You have to be employed for the summer either on Duke campus or at local non-profits that are partnered with the Community Service Center

If all 3 of these will describe you this summer, using work study will be a huge benefit to you. The work-study program exists to create professional development opportunities for students, and these work experiences can help students build a network of advisors and develop resume-worthy skills.

 

Where do I find a summer work-study position?

Quick places to find amazing opportunities at Duke and in the surrounding Durham area include:

 

Would you like to work in a certain professor's lab, or create a professional experience for yourself? You can get creative and design an experience if you don't find positions that match your interests. If you are interested in developing a summer research position for yourself, contact Dean Sarah Russell in Undergraduate Research at ursoffice@duke.edu to learn more.

You can also get in touch with the Career Center to help you find a good fit.

 

What are the steps I need to take in order to take advantage of this?

  1. Make sure your 20-21 financial aid paperwork is complete. Look on DukeHub to see whether you are missing any financial aid checklist items.
  2. Email finaid@duke.edu to let Financial Aid know you are potentially interested. If your checklist items are complete, and you email our office by the end of the first week of March, you can expect a notification of your summer work-study aid award by the end of March.
  3. Find a summer job. You can look on the sites above, or contact Undergraduate Research or the Career Center about creating your own position. If you are interested in working for a nonprofit, let us know at finaid@duke.edu so that we can assist you.
  4. Once your work-study award has been processed by Financial Aid, you will receive an email with paperwork for your supervisor. Bring this email to your new employer so that they can put you on payroll.

 

Questions? Email finaid@duke.edu.